World’s Most Expensive Watch, 2017. These 7 Watches are Worth More than your House (and Car)Fast cars and million dollar homes are just the tip of the diamond iceberg for the super rich. When it comes to luxurious indulgences, an unlikely accessory reigns supreme. Ranging from $4.6 million to $55 million we uncover the most expensive watch in the world. Forget everything you know about expensive watches. You won’t be finding your standard Rolex here. Our latest list of the world’s most expensive watches features extremely rare timepieces that will blow your mind- and budget. So, what are the components of the most expensive watch? The value of jewelry is determined by scarcity. It’s simple supply and demand. The more rare the components of a watch are, the more expensive it will be. Likewise, watchmakers themselves and certain watch models may become extremely limited. When this occurs, the value of the watch increases based on two factors. The demand for the model and the quantity available. In addition, watchmakers may also apply a certain amount of intangible value to a timepiece. For instance, how unique a particular design is. So the race is always on in both search and creation of the world’s most expensive watch. Curious to know just how much money people are spending to own these very expensive watches? In the list below, we look at 7 watches so rare that their owners were forced to pay millions to buy them. That’s a whole lot of Ferrari’s right? Buckle up and keep reading as we uncover which piece of wrist bling claims the title of the world’s most expensive watch in 2017.
7. PATEK PHILIPPE Ref. 1518 Wristwatch Price: $11,136,642Stainless steel isn’t typically a rare metal, but that’s not the case for the very expensive Patek Philippe Ref 1518 watch. It sold for over $11 million for that very reason. Presented at the Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo Geneva Watch Auction in 2016, a 13-minute bidding war decided the eventual owner. Coming in at 11 million, it still doesn’t come close to being the world’s most expensive watch.
6. Jacob & Co. Billionaire Watch Price: $18,000,000Of course Celebrity jewelry Jacob Arabo didn’t miss out on a chance to create the world’s most expensive watch. Much like his incredibly ornate celebrity commissioned work, he holds nothing back with this design. While the watch doesn’t actually cost a billion dollars, to the average person it sure feels like it. The Jacob & Co “Billionaire Watch” includes a diamond set boasting 260 carats of fine, emerald-cut diamonds. Inspired by art deco design, the case and bracelet are a fluid piece adorned with 18-karat white gold alongside a sapphire crystal and sapphire case back.
5. Patek Philippe Supercomplication Watch Price: $24,000,000In 2014, the Patek Philippe Supercomplication pocket watch made history in it’s Sotheby’s auction. Selling at a final bid price of $24 million dollars, it is the most expensive watch ever sold at auction. But, why? The answer is hidden in its name. In 1933, Patek Philippe’s Supercomplication set out to become the most complicated watch of its time, literally. The watch contains 24 unique “complications” making it every watch collector’s fantasy.
4. CHOPARD 210-CARAT WATCH Price: $25,000,000Swiss watchmaker Chopard creates history with this incredibly blinged out wristwatch. Calling it just a watch seems a bit unjust. The gilded timepiece boasts a 15-carat pink diamond, three heart-shaped diamonds, a 12-carat blue diamond, and 11-carat white diamond. That’s not all. Completing this Chopard masterpiece is an additional 163 carats of flawless white and yellow diamonds. The rare timepiece wasn’t up for sale long. It sold for an incredible price of $25 million in 2000 making it the world’s most expensive watch at the time.
3. BREGUET Grand Complication MARIE-ANTOINETTE Watch Price: $30,000,000The BREGUET GRANDE COMPLICATION watch made history long before it became one of the world’s most expensive watches. Rumor says it was commissioned in 1783 by an admirer of Queen Marie Antoniette. The ornate timepiece took over 20 years to complete. The Queen never saw the completion of her namesake timepice. Marie Anotinette (the watch) was born 34 years after her execution. It easily became the world’s most expensive watch. However, the story doesn’t end there. In 1983, renowned thief Na’aman Diller stole the expensive watch from home at the L.A. Mayer Institute for Islamic Art in Jerusalem. Remarkably, the watch was recovered in 2007. Today, the BREGUET GRANDE COMPLICATION MARIE-ANTOINETTE has a value of $30 million.
2. Graff Diamonds The Fascination Diamond Watch Price: $40,000,000If you’re paying $40 million dollars for a watch, versatility is certainly a factor. The Graff Diamonds watch provides an answer in the form of a diamond encrusted timepiece that converts into a ring. Consisting of 152.96 carats of precious white diamonds around its band, The Fascination watch wows. That’s not all. The true jewel is its removable, center-cut, 38.13-carat D Flawless pear shaped diamond- the same gem that doubles as a ring.
1. GRAFF HALLUCINATION Diamond Watch Price: $55,000,000Revealed at Baselworld 2014, Graff Diamonds debuted the most expensive watch ever. With a value of $55 million dollars, the Graff Hallucination watch is beyond rare. Constructed of over 110 karats of multi-colored diamonds, the timepiece took thousands of hours to complete. It’s so elaborate that we have to keep reminding ourselves that it’s all 100% real. Just think, losing a single diamond from this watch is a million dollar mistake. The insane price tag on the beauty, officially make it the world’s most expensive watch in 2017.
Want to be a fashion insider?Subscribe here for the latest updates direct to your inbox!