25 Inspirational Style & Fashion Quotes for Creatives from Famous Style Icons
Creatives have never been candid about offering up quotes about fashion. From style icons like Yves Saint Laurent to Vogue’s, Anna Wintour, fashion history offers some of its most sound advice in the form of fashion quotes. The fashion industry is no stranger to criticism from outsiders or each other. We’ve seen it in films like The Devil Wears Prada and we’ve even read about it on Twitter. Remember those Conde Nast elevator twitter quotes about fashion? Well, those aren’t exactly the inspirational fashion quotes I’m referencing. Overall, the public still doesn’t quite understand us. However, for those designers, photographers, editors and models on the inside, it is no movie.
Ironically, perhaps Miranda Priestly says it best in one of her most famous fashion quotes. “Its sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact you’re wearing a sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff.”
In an industry filled with passionate creatives, life can become tense quickly. Although it may not feel like it, you’re not alone. Whether you hate your new fashion job or simply wondering if the hard work will ever pay off, you’re in good company. Some of the world’s greatest style icons struggled with the pressure of succeeding in the sometimes wacky business of style and fashion. However the greats did eventually find a way to succeed, leaving behind some very telling quotes about fashion. From CoCo Chanel to Dianna Vreeland and even Dolly Parton. They remind us that with talent, drive and a sense of humor anything is possible.
Find inspiration in these 25 inspirational, funny, and very honest fashion and style quotes from history’s famous style icons.
1. “Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.”
― Oscar Wilde
2. “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
― Coco Chanel
4. “Even on the most solemn occasions I got away without wearing socks and hid that lack of civilization in high boots” ― Albert Einstein
5. “People who do a job that claims to be creative have to be alone to recharge their batteries. You can’t live 24 hours a day in the spotlight and remain creative. For people like me, solitude is a victory.” ― Karl Lagerfeld
7. “I like my money right where I can see it: hanging in my closet.” — Carrie Bradshaw
8. “Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys they’d just walk around naked at all times.”— Betsey Johnson
10.“Fashion is very important. It is life-enhancing and, like everything that gives pleasure, it is worth doing well.” — Vivienne Westwood
11. “We must never confuse elegance with snobbery.” — Yves Saint Laurent
13. “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” – Oscar Wilde
14. “You know the greatest thing is passion, without it what have you got? I mean if you love someone you can love them as much as you can love them but if it isn’t a passion, it isn’t burning, it isn’t on fire, you haven’t lived.” – Diana Vreeland
16. “It’s very important to take risks. I think that research is very important, but in the end you have to work from your instinct and feeling and take those risks and be fearless. When I hear a company is being run by a team, my heart sinks, because you need to have that leader with a vision and heart that can move things forward.” – Anna Wintour
17. “I have learned so much about myself. I have re-discovered that little boy who had the hunger to create, which I think I had lost.” — John Galliano
19. “Creative output, you know, is just pain. I’m going to be cliche for a minute and say that great art comes from pain.” — Kanye West
20. “When I design and wonder what the point is, I think of someone having a bad time in their life. Maybe they are sad and they wake up and put on something I have made and it makes them feel just a bit better. So, in that sense, fashion is a little help in the life of a person. But only a little.” — Miuccia Prada
22.”It seems there’s always another rumor about my life; some people are simply talked about more than others.” — Calvin Klein
23. “I think there is beauty in everything. What ‘normal’ people would perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it.” — Alexander McQueen
24. “Fashion is very important. It is life-enhancing and, like everything that gives pleasure, it is worth doing well.” — Vivienne Westwood